Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Emusic and 30 Song Reivews

My friend and fellow podcaster Nuri, of Candy Corn Studios and the amazing web comic Seeing In Stereo, recently put up the piece that follows on her LiveJournal blog.

It fits what we do her at Onthepod.net so I thought I'd offer her the opportunity to repost it here...and she graciously accepted. Check it out, there's some really great stuff here that I most likely never would have heard about without her.

Sometimes, it's really cool to have friends!

Enjoy...



This is a review of the 30 songs I downloaded from Emusic at the beginning of February. I should have done this for the songs I got the first time around (I had an account for awhile while I was in college, but canceled it to save money), but better late than never. Maybe I'll do some retroactive reviews too. This will help me remember what I'm gotten, what I liked, and maybe give my friends something to check out on Emusic. For the record, the $10/month plan with 30 songs per 30-day-period is plenty enough unless you have HOURS to spend online or are indiscriminate about your music.



* - Wish I hadn't downloaded it
** - It's okay, but nothing special
*** - Lyrics and/or music are pretty good
**** - It's on my frequently played list
**** - Love it, listen to it repetitively, and probably know most of the words



Amy Fox

I originally found one of her songs, House of Thick Skin, on the Artists For Change : The Goddess Within compilation. A Rock-and Roll sound with a hint of Country influence.
  • Undertow *** : Haunting and ominous-sounding, starts out slow but builds. Reminds me of House of Thick Skin.

  • Down * : This song isn't BAD...I just don't get anything out of it, or care to listen to it.

  • Do It Again ***

  • Human Driftwood **** : I love certain parts of this song, and most of the rest is at least good. Like many of her songs, it varies between a heavy rhythm and light parts.

  • Keeping Time With The Moon **

  • Away *** : The sweetest and slowest of her songs I downloaded. It's nice. Vocals with light piano in the background.


Laura Bradley

Honestly, I'd never heard of her before...I probably found her by going through someone's list. Her music and voice remind me of No Doubt, but I've only heard a few of their songs, so it may not be a good comparison. I put it on as background music mostly, except for the songs I really, really like.
  • Reason *** : Good song with a funky beat and a catchy chorus. Also, not depressing, which is a plus!

  • Rain **

  • Storm **

  • Rockbottom ***

  • Drive ****

  • Firegirl ***** : One of my two favorites on this album. I love the lyrics, and the music is unique and memorable. It's got a wavy, cruising feel to it.

  • Superhero ***** : The other of my two favorites on this album. The song is spacey and uplifting. It's a love song though, so if those make you sick, this one's not for you.

  • Probably ***** : "Probably it will be okay" is a great way to sum up this song. It's also the first line of the chorus. Stronger rhythm than most of the other songs on this album.

  • Skin **

  • Surrender **** : This one's good for the end of the day at work..."That's enough for today; one of us needs a drink."

  • Choosing You * : No really, I never listen to this song except if it happens to show up in a playlist and I'm too lazy to skip it.

  • Sword and Stone * : Not sure what the deal is with this song, but it's not even really good background music.


Amy Sky

Found her on someone's list, checked out the album. These were the two that I really liked. Wow, what a voice!

  • Ordinary Miracles **** : Really sweet, especially if you have kids (that you like...).

  • Phenomenal Woman ***** : I am a woman, and I am awesome. Nuff said. But I will elaborate; Musical style similar to Aretha's A Natural Woman.


Gilli Moon

I've liked this singer since I found Damaged or Broken on a compilation album. She has a low, clear voice and often her music sounds a little haunting.

  • Release Me ***

  • Someone to Love ***** : This song has one of those haunting rhythmic piano melodies. Mmmm!



Ingrid Michaelson

Don't remember if I round her through a list or a related artist link, but she's got some decent stuff. Reminds me a little of Michelle Branch.

  • Die Alone **** : I was hooked on the way this song started; even if the lyrics had been no so great, I'd have still liked it. But they ARE great!

  • Breakable **** : Sweet sounding song, more good piano.



Maia Sharp

Great voice, great songs, and wonderful diversity throughout her albums. She has a husky voice, but uses it well, so I don't mind. Picked up this one at the end of my downloads and put the rest on the list for the subsequent month.

  • Red Dress ***** : I found this song very inspiring. Makes me think of Miss J.R. Blackwell!



Rin'

More trancey than the emusic I typically go for, but it's always good to try new things. I like them, but didn't find anything particularly distinctive to keep me coming back.
  • New Day Rising **



Shane Nicholson

You may have noticed that I tend towards the female artists on Emusic. That's because they're easier (for me) to sing to. However, I went with an exception here. The songs have low ratings mostly because I just don't listen to 'em as much as I should. His music reminds me of Deas Vail and Jars of Clay, but not so immersed in religiosity.

  • Safe and Sound ***

  • Stolen Car **


Tara Maclean

Another one I picked up from someone's list. SO glad I did. Her voice is lovely, and her style is great too.

  • Wait it Out **** : Optimistic and laid back song, easy to sing to.

  • Got a Light ***** : I love this song! Especially the line, "It's a natural condition to be drawn to science fiction." Rolling and rhythmic.




No comments: