Friday, December 28, 2007

The Space Casey Podcast by Christiana Ellis


“Some heroines will steal your heart… This one will steal your wallet.”

In my never-ending quest for cool stuff to read and listen to, I’m always on the lookout for something that makes me laugh.  There’s just something magical to me about people who can string words together and have them echo with the wit, humor and sarcasm that I like to think exists in my own mind, but rarely actually does.  I’m drawn to writers like that and if they can somehow find it in themselves to tickle my inner geek by making me laugh in outer space…I’m a fan for life.

A long time ago, my friend Andie introduced me to Douglas Adams and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.  Soon there after, I was hooked on all things that had to do with towels, the phrase “Don’t Panic” and the number 42.  I just loved the smart and funny voice that Douglas Adams wrote in and when he passed away, I will admit to being selfishly distraught because I would never get to hear that voice again.

All these years later I read, “Some heroines will steal your heart… This one will steal your wallet.”  And I laughed.  That’s all it took really, one line and I knew I had found something that had the potential to make me a fan.  I also knew there was another podcast I had to listen to by the name of Space Casey.

Christiana Ellis, author of the painfully funny Nina Kimberly the Merciless podcast novel, recently began podcasting her latest project, Space Casey at the end of November 2007.  Her writing with Casey has that same witty and irreverent feel that initially drew me into Douglas Adams’ work. 

Ellis has also continued to hone her already wickedly funny writing, which she first showed off in Nina Kimberly, into a tighter and more polished outer space epic with her latest work.  Space Casey is funny and whip smart with a heroine who you want to like, but you’re never quite sure of her motivations.  You’re relatively sure there’s more under her roguish space fairing exterior than larceny, piracy and her attempts at one big score but you just can’t prove it…yet

I guess I’ll just have to keep listening to Space Casey, her neurotic spaceship AI with a fashion sense and the splashing sounds of a hyper-excited space spider with a crush to find out what happens.  Just like I had to keep reading all those years ago to find out the answer to life the universe and everything.  Once again, I’m looking forward to the ride.


No comments: