Friday, September 08, 2006

New: On the pod

New: On the pod

Bitter:Sweet – The Mating Game
Breaking Benjamin – Phobia
BT – This Binary Universe
George Lynch – Furious George
Glenn Gould - Robert Schumann: Piano Quartet/Brahms: Piano Quintet
Gran Bel Fisher – Full Moon Cigarette
Iron Maiden – A Matter Of Life And Death
Jani Lane – Back Down To One
Kaki King – Until We Felt Red
Los Lonely Boys – Los Lonely Boys
Los Lonely Boys – Scared
Lyle Lovett – My Baby Don’t Tolerate
Lyle Lovett – Step Inside This House
Michael Schenker Group – Adventures Of The Imagination
Nina Gordon – Bleeding Heart Graffiti
Scrubs – Soundtrack
Soul Asylum – Grave Dancers Union
Steve Stevens – Flamenco A Go-Go
The Who – Wire & Glass


Audiobooks:

Cornelia Funke – The Thief Lord



Quick Audiobook Review:

Whitley Strieber – The Grays


Grays
The Grays


Whitley Strieber’s The Grays is a perfect example of how accessible Science Fiction can be to a popular audience. As a genre, Sci-Fi can be a hard sell to a lot of people, but The Grays doesn’t have the typical pitfalls like alien names with too many consonants or so much made up science that it feels as if you’re reading a technical manual. The real strength of The Grays is it’s humanity. Strieber gives us a story in which everyone, both human and alien alike, is looking for the answer to who they are and what that means. The writing is beautiful, most especially so in the scene of a young boy becoming who he is destine to be. The Grays is an exciting read, which once started will be hard to put down.



News: On the pod

Hi everybody,

Well, I'm back from the road trip with lots of new music to write about as you can see. I should have a few new album reviews up shortly, so check back soon for those.


While we were on the Charlotte trip, I met a great guy and artist by the name of Tom Davidson. He has a very cool comic called D-tails that you can check out over at his website, www.watchtomdraw.com. There’s an online version as well as a print version, which I highly recommend you buy several copies of, because I picked one up myself and it was great…and did I mention inexpensive?


As for the the quick audiobook review...If you get a chance, check out The Grays. I really dug that book.

I also blew through Neal Stephenson’s Zodiac which was a blast to read. Very different from his other books like Snow Crash and The Diamond Age, I’d actually have to say that Zodiac was light in comparison. Oh, and it’s a very easy read, unlike...well...um...let's say...hmmm...I don't know...Cryptonomicon. I’m still working on that one.

Zodiac: The Eco-Thriller
Zodiac: The Eco-Thriller


I’m currently reading Loser Goes First by Dan Kennedy which is a fun little book too. I’ll let you know just how much when I’m done.

Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation


I think that pretty much sums up what’s going on around here so I’ll let you get back to your lives. As always, check back soon for updates.

Thanks and keep listening,

Joe

No comments: