Friday, July 07, 2006

New: On the pod

Music:

Antigone Rising - Antigone Rising's Traveling Circus
Billy Joel – 12 Gardens Live
Dream Theater – Dark Side Of The Mood (Official Bootleg)
Heart – 80’s Greatest
Mieka Pauley – Acoustic EP
Mieka Pauley – Out of Car Wrecks & Hurricanes EP
Mieka Pauley – 2004-07-27: Live @ The Living Room
Mieka Pauley – 2005-03-05: Live @ The Paradise Lounge
Mieka Pauley – 2005-06-23: Live @ The Living Room
Mieka Pauley – 2006-02-03: Live @ Club Passim
Richie Kotzen – Ai Senshi Z x R
The Wailin Jennys – Firecracker



Audiobooks:

Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child – The Book of the Dead

The Book of the Dead
Click to buy
The Book of the Dead





Quick Audiobook Reviews:

Augusten Burroughs – Possible Side Effects

Augusten Burroughs is just a wonderful writer. He can be funny and touching at the same time. In my opinion, he is also one of the best authors to write about love that I have ever read. He has such a talent for painting the people he loves in terms that make the words so transparent and real. That’s not all he’s good at either. He’s very good at writing funny, even if he, himself, says that he’s not really funny in person. If you liked Running With Scissors or Magical Thinking (or I’m assuming Sell-O-Vision and Dry, which I have not yet read or listened to) you will love Possible Side Effects.

Possible Side Effects
Click to buy
Possible Side Effects


The Ambler Warning – Robert Ludlum

Let it never be said that Robert Ludlum couldn’t write an entertaining thriller. He, or who ever has been ghostwriting as him, definitely has a grasp of what it takes to be successful in the genre…but they do seem to be obsessed with memory, or rather the loss there of.

The Ambler Warning
Click to buy
The Ambler Warning


Paulo Coelho – The Alchemist

This may actually be my favorite book. If not my favorite, it’s definitely the one I’ve listened to the most. Every few months I find myself listening to the unabridged version of The Alchemist read by Jeremy Irons. The Alchemist follows the story of a boy, Santiago, and his search for his own “Personal Legend.” The story takes this Shepard boy across the pastures of Spain through the deserts of Africa and to the Pyramids of Egypt. On his travels, he meets a king, a thief, a crystal merchant, an Englishman, the love of his life and, as the title implies, an Alchemist. As is similar with of all of Paulo Coelho’s writings, The Alchemist is an uplifting and moving story about following your heart.

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
Click to buy
The Alchemist





Quick Book Review:

Christopher Moore – Lamb (The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal)

I know, I know, I know…another f’n book by Christopher Moore. Talk about beating a dead horse. Sorry kids, my website. I’m just about done with Lamb and I wanted to tell you all to go out and read it while it’s still fresh in my severely askew melon. Lamb is a funny, and not all together sacrilegious, look at Jesus’ lost early years through the eyes of his best friend Biff. While the situations are extremely humorous, and some even risqué, Jesus is portrayed in an extremely reverent manner, with the vast majority of the mischief being perpetrated by none other than Biff himself. It’s an easy, fun and quick read…and if you’ve read any other Christopher Moore books you may even notice an appearance from a familiar face or two.

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
Click to buy
Lamb





Other Stuff from On the pod:



Buy the CD


Completely unrelated to On the pod.net…my CD, The Sogno Suite, is now not only available through the Terminally Vague Media websites, but also through CD Baby. Check out there website at www.cdbaby.com for great independent artists…and me. If you click on the CD Baby graphic above, you’ll be brought right to The Sogno Suite page. There were lots of reasons for my doing this, but the main one was that in approximately two weeks, you should be able to download The Sogno Suite through the iTunes Music Store.

Getting a serious podcast off the ground is taking me a bit longer than I had anticipated, but I’m still working on it. Sorry if you haven’t heard anything new in a while, but it’s coming.

I hope you were all able to catch The Wailin’ Jennys on Great Performances on July 3rd with Garrison Keillor and A Prairie Home Companion. The Prairie show was great, but the Jennys were outstanding. Check your local PBS listings for a repeat showing.

Here’s the big news. On the pod.net has been asked to join forces with Finer Things Magazine to write music reviews for their publication. I’m personally very excited to be able to bring On the pod.net to a whole new audience. You’ll be able to start seeing reviews in the coming months along with a profile piece I was asked to write on myself and my background. Keep a look out for copies near you.

Well, I think that’s it for now. Hope you can check out some of the books I talked about above and some of the new music that I’ve been listening to.

Thanks & Keep Listening,

Joe

No comments: