Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Death Cab For Cutie – Plans


Alternative + (Written in Dec 2005)

Death Cab For Cutie – Plans

I had been seeing this odd band name ever where I looked online and had no idea who they were. I was immediately curious about a band calling themselves Death Cab For Cutie, but short of going to their website, which would have ended my curiosity infinitely sooner, I still hadn’t heard them. Then I was flipping stations on XM and finally ran head on into Soul Meets Body. I wasn’t immediately hooked, but the tune stayed with me and as I kept hearing it, I kept wanting to hear it more.

Nothing here is overdone. Lyrically, the album is intelligent and yet not pushy with it’s intelligence. The vocals, like the meanings, are subtle and understated yet not lacking in any way. The words are really poetry here and could live on their own outside the music…thankfully, they don’t have to. Instrumentally, the arrangements are breathy and sparse yet very intimate.

One of my favorite tracks is, I Will Follow You Into The Dark. One acoustic guitar and one voice. Very simple, very clean and amazingly tender lyrics.

Plans is just a brilliant album.

You can purchase Plans @


No comments: